The Annual Fund
Gunston Hall is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that relies on the generous support of donors like you to bring the past to life for the tens of thousands of children, families and others that visit Gunston Hall each year. As part of our commitment to sharing George Mason’s story and values of honesty, integrity, and love of country as widely as possible, we:
- Offer free entrance to all active duty, National Guard and Reserve military personnel and their families from Memorial Day through Labor Day;
- Make every effort to accommodate those with disabilities. Our Visitors Center and the first floor of the Mansion are completely accessible; and,
- Provide free admission to those living at or below the poverty line.
Donations to Gunston Hall’s annual fund are straightforward charitable contributions. No goods, services, or membership benefits are provide in exchange for annual fund donations.
There are always exciting new funding opportunities available for supporters of Gunston Hall. Opportunities range from restoration and preservation efforts to education programs. Following is a special project for which we are currently seeking funding.
- Restoration of the Historic Riverside Garden. After extensive archaeological investigation and landscape analysis, we are bringing George Mason’s historic Riverside Garden back to life and bloom. The Riverside Garden was designed by George Mason as a space to provide food and medicine for his family. It was also a one-of-a-kind place for reflection. At once playful, intimate, and functional, the garden was an expression of Mason’s distinctive personality and position as a leading citizen in the colony of Virginia. The restored Riverside Garden will provide a window into George Mason’s intellect, imagination, and commitment to Enlightenment principles. We invite you to join us in this effort to restore George Mason’s signature garden to its original magnificence. Hardscaping of the Riverside Garden will begin in the spring of 2019 and planting will be completed in the fall of 2019.
For more information about this special project, please contact Scott Stroh, Executive Director, at 703-550-9220 or email@example.com.
To make a donation in support of the restoration of the Riverside Garden, click here.
The Louis and Eleanor Hertle Heritage Society
Louis and Eleanor Hertle were Gunston Hall’s first benefactors. As private owners of Gunston Hall in the 1930s, they began considering ways to preserve this historic property. It was their wish that Gunston Hall become a memorial to George Mason upon their passing. In 1949, Gunston Hall formally passed to the Commonwealth of Virginia to be administered by a Board of Regents chosen by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America.
In the spirit of their generous bequest, we have established The Louis and Eleanor Hertle Heritage Society to recognize the generosity and foresight of donors who support Gunston Hall through estate and planned gifts. Planned giving options include:
- Gift Annuity
- Life Insurance/Retirement Accounts
- Deferred Gift Annuity
- Lead Trusts
- Remainder Trusts
If you have already included Gunston Hall in your estate plans, or if you would like additional information about the different planned giving options, please contact Scott Stroh, Executive Director, at 703-550-9220 or firstname.lastname@example.org.