The grounds, visitor center, and museum shop are now open daily.
General Admission grants access to the grounds, museum, and limited access to the mansion. A Grounds Pass is available for you to explore the grounds on your own.
Explore the Historic Area
Take a guided tour or explore the grounds on your own.
- Kitchen Yard: Peek in the reconstructed kitchen, dairy, and laundry. Consider the unrelenting work of enslaved people in these spaces. Compare these buildings to today’s housekeeping spaces.
- Schoolhouse: Explore a recreated 18th-century plantation schoolhouse, including the tutor’s quarters.
- Burying Ground: Walk out to the Masons’ family cemetery, established in the 1770s.
- Slave Dwelling: See an outline of the kind of house that might have been used by enslaved people at Gunston Hall. Learn where real houses of enslaved people were located.
- Archaeology: From spring through fall, meet our archaeological team to find out what we are uncovering about life at Gunston Hall.
- Garden: Discover the location and design of the Masons’ garden. Watch as the garden reconstruction takes place.
Experience Revolutionary Rights
Start your visit in the Visitor Center and view our newest exhibition, Revolutionary Rights or our temporary exhibition, A Woman’s Place.
- Revolutionary Rights, investigates the legacy of George Mason through his actions and ideas.
- A Woman’s Place, uncovers clues about the lives of enslaved and free women who grew up, toiled, played, celebrated, and sorrowed at Gunston Hall.
Plan a Picnic
Enjoy Gunston Hall’s grounds by using our picnic tables or bringing a picnic blanket.
- Bring your own picnic food.
- With 24 hours advanced planning, you may order a picnic lunch through our partner, Amphora.
Go on a Hike
Purchase your ticket and lace up your boots to discover Gunston Hall’s 550 acres of natural beauty. Choose one of our easy to moderate hikes that showcase the historic corridor, native wildlife and plants, or impressive waterside views.
Bring Your Dog!
Well-behaved leashed dogs are welcome on the grounds but are not allowed in the visitor center or museum with the exception of service animals. Explore the grounds or take an adventure hike with your pup and learn something new!
Shop with Us
The museum shop is open daily from 9:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and located within the visitor center. The shop carries merchandise including books, stationary, refreshments, and gifts for any occasion including art from local artisans and craftsmen.
Upcoming Events at Gunston Hall
Step back in time and explore the ideas of democracy and individual rights. Check out our calendar of events below to see what is happening soon. Members of Gunston Hall receive discounted registration for all special programs.