Director of Finance and Administration
George Mason’s Gunston Hall, a National Historic Landmark located on scenic Mason Neck in Fairfax County, Virginia, is pleased to announce an exciting new opportunity for an entrepreneurial and results oriented individual to lead financial and administrative operations at a growing and vibrant cultural organization. Gunston Hall is a public-private partnership and we are seeking a passionate and astute leader with the vision, business acumen, expertise, and integrity to develop and implement a comprehensive, collaborative, equitable, and inclusive approach to financial and human resources management.
The ideal candidate will be able to strategically and sustainably lead and manage complex financial and administrative operations and they will possess a passion for building and sustaining relationships, an enthusiastic commitment to excellence and best practice, a dedicated commitment to exceptional service, and a strong belief in the importance of ongoing personal and professional development.
Description of Duties:
The Director of Finance and Administration is responsible for planning, organizing, managing, and implementing all accounting, procurement, and budgetary activities of George Mason’s Gunston Hall and its affiliates. The Director of Finance and Administration is also responsible for compiling and reporting accurate financial data, forecasting and projecting financial trends, ensuring compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and Commonwealth of Virginia policies, evaluating program effectiveness and resource requirements, and continuously improving underlying financial management systems.
Additionally, the Director of Finance and Administration is responsible for planning, organizing, implementing, and managing all human resources activities and operations at George Mason’s Gunston Hall and its affiliates.
Finally, the Director of Finance and Administration is responsible for serving on Gunston Hall’s Leadership Team and providing vision, leadership, and support for the purpose of advancing the Agency’s fulfillment of its mission, goals and objectives, and strategic initiatives.
In line with organizational objectives, values, and standards of excellence, we are seeking an individual possessing the following:
- Comprehensive knowledge of generally accepted business and accounting principles, and of fiscal and accounting functions, policies, and procedures for both non-profit organizations and governmental agencies.
- Working knowledge of Commonwealth of Virginia budget processes.
- Considerable knowledge of Commonwealth of Virginia accounting processes and demonstrated ability to manage state general and non-general fund revenue, appropriations and expenditures, and private, foundation, and governmental grants.
- Considerable knowledge of audit and compliance protocols and processes.
- Considerable knowledge of accounting software and associated systems. Ability to apply knowledge of information technology systems and financial management processes to choose, customize, configure, and administer financial management software applications.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, direct, manage, and coordinate accounting, budgeting, and financial reporting functions, systems, and procedures including internal controls and cash receipting.
- Ability to create, analyze and forecast financial data, make sound recommendations, and to develop and implement policies and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of human resources laws, practices, and policies for both non-profit organizations and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Strong business acumen and an in-depth understanding of human resources and financial implications of business decisions.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with colleagues, governing bodies, partners, and agencies of Commonwealth government.
- Demonstrated success cultivating and sustaining strong relationships with diverse constituencies.
- Demonstrated capacity for leadership and strategic thinking.
- Experience leading and supervising employees.
- Experience creating, supporting, and sustaining an environment in which a unified team works for organizational excellence.
- Experience providing and supporting exemplary guest service.
- Proven ability developing and achieving goals, planning and managing projects, implementing budgets and business plans, and meeting targeted deadlines.
- A commitment to leading and supporting entrepreneurial and innovative initiatives.
- Exceptional organizational and data management skills.
- A positive attitude, energetic personality, motivational spirit, and creatively open mind.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion.
- A commitment to excellence.
Qualifications for this position include:
- A Master’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration or related field is highly preferred.
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, finance, economics, public administration, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of professional training and experience is required.
- Considerable experience planning, organizing, and directing financial operations at a complex organization with multiple funding sources in preferred.
- Considerable experience planning, organizing, and directing human resources operations at a complex organization is preferred.
- Progressive, relevant experience and demonstrated success in budgeting, forecasting, strategic planning, financial management and reporting, and compliance assurance with non-profits and governmental agencies, or a comparable combination of education and experience, is preferred.
- Experience in a senior leadership position, or progressive experience in leadership and management roles is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with cultural organizations, museums, or historic sites is beneficial.
- A passion for George Mason, Gunston Hall, The Virginia Declaration of Rights, history, and historic sites is beneficial.
This position is a full-time, salaried, and classified as exempt. Compensation will be based on qualifications. Performance will be evaluated based on the achievement of collaboratively determined team and personal goals specific to the requirements of the position.
The mission of Gunston Hall is to stimulate the exploration and understanding of principles expressed by George Mason in the 1776 Virginia Declaration of Rights. Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and a National Historic Landmark, the site includes Gunston Hall, reconstructed outbuildings, a visitor center and museum, event facility, museum shop, and 550 acres of diverse landscape situated along the Potomac River in Fairfax County, Virginia. For more information, please visit www.gunstonhall.org.
Gunston Hall does not accept “See Resume” as a response to any question. Information on the application is the primary source used for screening. Failure to complete any section of the application may disqualify the application for further consideration. Also, applications should include complete work history, including periods of unemployment if applicable. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Apply online at: https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/
Job Posting Number is: 1077757
George Mason’s Gunston Hall is an equal opportunity employer.
Guest Services Representative
Gunston Hall is pleased to announce a part-time guest services position at an unparalleled historic site on scenic Mason Neck in Fairfax County, Virginia. We are seeking a candidate who is friendly, people-oriented, loves history, and is eager to share Gunston Hall’s story with visitors. Guest services staff divide their time between the visitor center and the mansion, and in some seasons guest services staff spend significant time in outdoor locations. Their responsibilities center on ensuring a positive and content-rich experience at Gunston Hall.
Specifically, guest services staff:
- project a positive image, serving as an ambassador for the museum;
- greet visitors, in a pleasant and welcoming manner;
- lead tours that are accurate and engaging for visitors of all ages;
- assist with the preparation for and implementation of public programs and special events;
- promote and relay accurate information about planned programs and events;
- monitor the museum exhibitions in the visitor center, period room installations in the mansion, and reproduction outbuildings;
- interact with visitors throughout their time on the property;
- answer telephones;
- schedule tours and special events;
- keep accurate records, including admissions records;
- reconcile cash and charge receipts;
- support other projects related to Gunston Hall’s educational mission.
The ideal candidate will be interested in history, solution-oriented, detail-oriented, able to adapt to changing circumstances, and committed to presenting Gunston Hall in the best possible light to teachers, students, program attendees, museum visitors, and other members of the general public.
This position reports to the Education Manager. It requires:
- excellent customer service skills;
- responsibility and trustworthiness;
- knowledge of basic office procedures;
- ability to read and write the English language and to understand, follow, and give oral instructions;
- knowledge of computers, telephone systems, audio-visual equipment, and cash registers;
- ability to reconcile cash and credit card receipts;
- ability to maintain an electronic calendar in order to schedule events;
- exhibition of professional manner and dress at all times;
- ability to multi-task;
- ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
Both weekend and weekday shifts are available; applicants should expect to work two to three days a week, including at least one weekend day. This is an hourly (wage) position, earning $10.87. It does not have health insurance, retirement or paid leave.
To apply please send a letter of interest, resume, and Commonwealth of Virginia application* to Lacey Villiva, Education Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will begin reviewing applications as they arrive, therefore the position might close early.
Gunston Hall is an equal opportunity employer.
*To submit a Commonwealth of Virginia Job Application, please visit https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/. You will need to create an account, fill out a draft application, and email a copy of the application saved as a pdf.